Blog Post 4

For my map I used NGIS to produce county level data from 1910 regarding total population, race and poverty (income relative to poverty level). I created layers on the map to show race/nativity demographics in the total population and farm ownership by race/nativity. I chose to join farm ownership data with race/nativity demographics to see how farm ownership could be relative to race and have direct effects on wealth disparities in the country. I most struggled to export my layers to a new geodatabase to make them permanent. 

In Chapter 11, Monmonier discusses how the different choices you make when creating your map have a direct effect on how the information is perceived by the audience. In my map I used graduated colors to emphasize the differences of the races of farm ownership in different parts of the country. I chose to keep the colors of the different races the same when shown on the map as to not mislead people into biases or extremes when perceiving the maps. 

Race Farm Ownership Relative to total Population

Native White Farm Ownership: 



Foreign White Farm Ownership:


Black/Not White Farm Ownership:










Comments

  1. I appreciate the consideration you put into the map and to avoid anything misleading. On top of that, the data you used is really interesting and I really have some questions based on the distributions, I think it would be interesting to compare this to other sets of data.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is such a good point that when creating multiple maps for comparison, it is helpful to keep as many things the same as you can. Even differences in the color fill could create biases in the map viewer, or could support unconscious biases in the map maker.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 2

Blog Post 3

Blog Post 1